The band program depends on many funding sources made possible by the careful planning and hard work of the band directors, students, and the many band boosters. The band directors strive to keep band program costs low compared to similar county programs. There are two basic types of fundraising, general and student account.
General fundraisers directly support all activities of the band. Six basic types of general fund raising activities occur each year.
TAG DAY – (Fundraiser Organizer: Erica Hosken ) Tag Day is the major fund-raising event for the band. All students are required to participate. Tag Day is held the first Saturday after the start of school, with the following Saturday as a rain date. Students wear their band uniforms. Many parent volunteers are needed prior to and on Tag Day to help with this event — Volunteer Form. The workday ends with a fun pizza party at the school.
Post Tag Day: For those of you who missed our energetic students walking through your neighborhood on Tag Day, it’s not too late to contribute! Send your contributions by check, made out to LBBB, to Lake Braddock Secondary School, Attn: Music Dept, 9200 Burke Lake Road, Burke, VA 22015, with ‘Tag Day’ on the memo line.
WHITE HOUSE ORNAMENTS (WHO) – (Fundraiser Organizer: Jennifer Morris) The LBSS Band raises funds through the sale of eye-catching White House ornaments. Many families and collectors prize the new ornament issued each year by the White House Historical Association. Current and previous years’ ornaments are available. Students can earn letter points by taking part in this fundraiser. Band families are encouraged to purchase these dazzling collectors’ items as gifts for relatives and friends. In addition, band families can sell ornaments to coworkers, friends and relatives, with all funds raised supporting the band.
CAR WASHES – The Student Band officers sponsor and arrange car washes that occur at the start of marching band season. All band and guard members are encouraged to participate. Funds raised are earmarked for the Student officer gift to the band at the end of the year. Any extra funds also help defray the costs associated with producing the slide shows presented at the Progressive Dinner and Spring Banquet, senior flowers at certain events, and the creation of the annual band photo collage. Students can earn a letter point if they attend all car washes.
BRUIN SPIRIT WEAR – Spirit Wear will be available to order soon. More info to
AMAZONSMILE – AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to give to the Lake Braddock Band every time you shop, at no cost to you. AmazonSmile is the same Amazon you know. Same products, same prices, same service. Amazon will donate 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the Lake Braddock Bruin Band Boosters whenever you shop on AmazonSmile. How do you shop at AmazonSmile? Just follow this link: http://smile.amazon.com/ch/52-1369540
Individual Student Account Fundraiser – SCRIP
The following fundraiser is open to all Band and Color Guard members and makes it possible for students to earn money to offset some or all of their personal band expenses during the year. The rebate received is allocated to individual student accounts as earned by that student.
SCRIP SALES, YEAR ROUND – Fundraiser Organizer: Kathy Sawyer
What is “SCRIP”?
How often have you been caught without cash but didn’t want to use a credit card? SCRIP can be used in place of cash, checks, and credit cards for everyday expenses like groceries, gasoline, clothing, and other essentials, as well as for entertainment expenses like movies, restaurants, and even vacations. Nearly 700 vendors are available nationwide! You can also give them as gifts or e-gifts. For every dollar of SCRIP you purchase your student earns 2-18% (or more) towards the spring performance trip and band expenses without you spending an additional penny! Scrip is the only individual fundraiser currently available.
Use Scrip instead of cash or credit cards to pay for your purchases at hundreds of national and local retailers where you already shop. In many cases, you can print “ScripNow” at home or reload a plastic card already in your wallet before walking out the door. And with www.myscripwallet.com, a mobile website that behaves like an app, you’ll be able to easily enroll in the program, order ScripNow® eCards, reload existing plastic cards, pay for these products, and redeem them directly from your smart phone (iPhones and Android devices). It uses your existing ShopWithScrip® and PrestoPay account, so you have access to more than 400 of your favorite brands available in ScripNow eCards, and over 180 brands that can be reloaded. Remember to occasionally look at the full desktop website, especially when you’ve first enrolled, so you can easily browse the retailers and types of Scrip they offer (plastic, reload, eScrip), look at tutorials or read FAQs, and catch up on updates and bonuses you may have overlooked on your phone!)
How do I get SCRIP?
You can enroll on your smartphone or computer.
- Go to www.shopwithscrip.com (on a computer) or set up the mobile website MyScripWallet.com on your smartphone (see below) and register by entering your e-mail address, creating a password, and filling out the required information, including your student’s name, graduating year and instrument (rather than teacher).
- Accept the “terms and conditions” and enter the LBB Enrollment Code 2FL5B2L1117L4.
- Register for PrestoPay Online Payments (Lake Braddock Band Boosters does not take check payments.) You can now instantly link your bank account to ShopWithScrip and start shopping right away. (Manually entering banking information is still an option, which takes 1-2 business days to process.) In addition to linking a bank account (PrestoPay™), you can choose the option to pay for gift cards with VISA or Mastercard. (NOTE: A 2.6% fee is added to your order total each time you pay with a credit card. Though your rebate remains the same, your credit card charge may negate your overall earnings. Keep in mind that most credit card rewards programs offer percentages that are nota 1:1 earning of points to dollars. See details here.)
- Please Opt in for emails notifying you of bonus periods & new retailers. (The best way to keep up to date on bonuses is to opt-in for emails from Great Lakes Scrip Center/ShopWithScrip. Band News eComms will only provide weekly updates)
- Reloads and ScripNow (eScrip) are available instantly, no waiting for a plastic card to be delivered!
- Once you enter a plastic order online the SCRIP Coordinator will automatically be notified and your order will be included in the group order when it is placed (usually on a monthly basis). Orders for plastic cards can be picked up at the Coordinator’s home, generally within one week of the ordering deadline date. Those who’ve placed a plastic card order will receive instructions via email when orders are ready for pickup.
How do I use Mobile Scrip?
Make sure all adults in the family have “www.myscripwallet.com” mobile website set up on your phones; UPDATE: The appearance of the site has changed and now allows you to order plastic (physical) gift cards in addition to reloads and eGift cards (ScripNow®) so select carefully as plastic cards still follow monthly deadlines for shipment! Again, it’s not an appbut a mobile website-very streamlined for ordering and seeing your “wallet” and you can save the website to your phone home screen for easy access (as if it were an app!) Navigate to www.myscripwallet.com using the Safari browser on an iPhone, or the Chrome browser on an Android phone. On an iPhone, select the upward arrow icon at the bottom of the screen. Choose ‘Add to Home Screen’, then ‘Add’. On Android phones, access the Chrome menu button and select ‘Add to home screen’, then ‘Add’. Click on the new icon to access the site just as you would to open an app.
How do I pay for SCRIP?
Activate the “Presto Pay” tool and conveniently pay online at the time you place your order. Your payment will be electronically deducted from your checking account. There’s only a small fee of 15 cents per order-less than the cost of a postage stamp or the gas used to drop off a check at school! Easy on the coordinator and treasurer, too! Visa and Mastercard may also be used, however you will be charged a 2.6% fee on your purchase.
How do I apply my rebates to my student’s bill?
Monthly rebates are added to individual student’s band fundraising account and will be posted in Charms early in the following month so you can see your funds add up! To apply funds toward expenses, please contact the treasurer, stating the dollar amount you wish to apply. Transfer is NOT automatic. email@example.com
Order Deadlines for Plastic cards Jan 8, 2020; remainder of 2020 TBA
IMPORTANT: Please take the time to read the enrollment guidelines and tips in the weekly Band eComm to not only help this volunteer but to move you along faster to earning big bucks!! I still have several families that have not continued with PrestoPay registration as well as those I need to identify as band members because they did not provide the requested grad year and instrument when enrolling (see enrollment info above).
ScripNow and Reloads are available 24/7/365! Contact me with any questions
If you have any questions about the SCRIP Program, please contact:
Kathy Sawyer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-585-6820 (cell)